Chief Master Sergeant David J. Melby is the Command Chief Master Sergeant for the 940th Air Refueling Wing, Beale Air Force Base, Calif. He is the highest enlisted leader in the wing, and as such, provides direction for the enlisted force and represents their interests across Beale AFB and throughout the local community. He serves as an adviser to the commander on all issues regarding the welfare, readiness and morale of the wing's enlisted force. He also provides oversight and guidance to the wing's First Sergeants Group, Chiefs Council and Top Three Association.
Chief Melby enlisted in the active duty Army in October 1990, where he served as a Combat Engineer until joining the Wisconsin Air National Guard in May 1993. He continued serving in the Air National Guard until transferring to the Air Force Reserve in July 2013. He has served in various leadership positions to include a Civil Engineer Shop superintendent, Chief Enlisted Manager, and First Sergeant at the squadron, group and wing level during his Air Force career. His military service includes deploying five times to the Middle East in support of Operations DESERT SHIELD/STORM, SOUTHERN WATCH, IRAQI FREEDOM, and JOINT TASK FORCE/HORN OF AFRICA. In his civilian capacity, he is a field supervisor with the Wisconsin Department of Corrections.
1994 Engineer assistant course, Sheppard AFB, Texas.
1997 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course, by correspondence.
2000 Bachelor of Arts degree in Behavioral Science and Law, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wis.
2000 Criminal Justice Certificate, Madison Police Department (intern), University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wis.
2001 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, by correspondence.
2005 Master of Science degree in Criminal Justice Administration, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Wis.
2007 Air Force First Sergeant Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2008 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, by correspondence.
2008 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education (SEJPME) course, by correspondence.
2009 Associate of Applied Science, Construction Technology, Community College of the Air Force.
2009 Associate of Applied Science, Human Resource Management, Community College of the Air Force.
2010 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, in-residence, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2014 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Leadership Development Course, Wright-Patterson, AFB Ohio.
2014 Professional Manager Certification, Community College of the Air Force.
2014 Enterprise Management Development Academy (EMDA), University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wis.
2015 Air Force Reserve Command, Chief Leadership Course, Robbins AFB, Ga.
2017 Reserve Component National Security Course (RCNSC), Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
2017 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II (SEJPME II) course, by correspondence
1. October 1990 – May 1991, Combat Engineer Apprentice, D589th Engineer Battalion, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
2. May 1991 - August 1992, Combat Engineer Apprentice, C299th Engineer Battalion, Fort Sill, Okla.
3. August 1992 – February 1993, Combat Engineer Apprentice, C299th Engineer Battalion, Fort Carson, Colo.
4. May 1993 - September 1994, Apprentice Engineering Specialist, 115th Fighter Wing, Madison, Wis.
5. September 1994 - November 2000, Engineering Assistant, 115th Fighter Wing, Madison, Wis.
6. November 2000 - May 2007, NCOIC, Engineer Assistant Branch, 115th Fighter Wing, Madison, Wis.
7. May 2007 - November 2008, First Sergeant, 115th Civil Engineer Squadron, Madison, Wis.
8. Nov 2008 – October 2010, First Sergeant, 115th Mission Support Group, Madison, Wis.
9. October 2010 to June 2013, NCOIC, 115th Force Support Squadron – Student Flight, Madison, Wis.
10. July 2013 to July 2014, First Sergeant, 934th Civil Engineer Squadron, Minneapolis, Minn.
11. July 2014 to March 2015, Engineer Assistant, 934th Civil Engineer Squadron, Minneapolis, Minn.
12. March 2015, Chief Enlisted Manager, 934th Civil Engineer Squadron, Minneapolis, Minn.
13. March 2018- Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 940th Air Refueling Wing, Beale AFB, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
National Defense Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze stars
Iraqi Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon (short)
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold frame and oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two "M" device and hour glass
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) with device
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Private April 10, 1991
Private First Class October 10, 1991
Specialist October 10, 1992
Senior Airman May 27, 1993
Staff Sergeant March 1, 1998
Technical Sergeant December 1, 2000
Master Sergeant December 1, 2002
Senior Master Sergeant June 1, 2010
Chief Master Sergeant August 1, 2015
(Current as of June 2018)